Tuesday, October 21, 2008

Dubai over uni for poly grad

Other Polytechnic students would have leapt at the chance to further their studies in a university, but not Ms Grace Lee.

Her greater desire is to live abroad and work in the service industry. And come September, she will be doing just that.

She will head for Dubai to work as a guest relations agent at the five-star Tiara Palm Dubai Hotel. Her job will involve taking care of VIP guests.

She will earn up to $2,300, with meals and accommodation provided.

Last year, Ms Lee, now 23, turned down an offer to read business economics at the Nanyang Technological University (NTU) after doing a business diploma course at Temasek Polytechnic.

During her Poly days, she had done a four-month stint at a five- star hotel in China and that opened her eyes to the opportunities overseas.

'I wanted to take charge of my life and chase my dream of embracing different cultures,' she said.

She signed up for a one-year hospitality programme at the Singapore Institute of Management (SIM). Some of her friends said 'she was stupid' not to accept the NTU offer.

As part of the SIM programme, she spent six months at the International Hotel Management School in Switzerland. There, she applied for a job in Tiara Palm.

'I will miss my family and friends when I leave for Dubai. They have been so supportive of me,' said Ms Lee, whose father is a manager in the aviation industry and mother is a housewife.

'I'll be back when the integrated resort is ready. I'll take this chance to establish my career in the meantime,' she added.

No comments:

Earn $$ with WidgetBucks!