Monday, May 4, 2009

On education, pay and prospects

'My grandmother never got a college degree...But she was able to become a vice-president at a bank partly because her high-school education was rigorous enough that she could communicate and analyse information in a way that, frankly, a bunch of college kids in many parts of the country can't.

She could write a better letter than many of my - I won't say 'many', but a number of my former students at the University of Chicago Law School.'
Mr Obama on the need to make high-school and college education more robust.

'Oh, sure. Probably only for a brief time, because I was working three jobs most of the time that I was in the State Senate. I was still practising law and I was still teaching.

But when I started campaigning for the US Senate and I had to drop some of those jobs, then she carried us for a couple years.'
On the 'reversed' gender pay gap, and whether his wife Michelle earned more than him.

'It's not one of these things where I can say: 'Oh, you know what, if I time it just right, then the market is going to be going up and unemployment will be going down right before re-election.'

What I'm very confident about is that given the difficult options before us, we are making good, thoughtful decisions.'
On when the United States can emerge from the recession.

 

No comments:

Earn $$ with WidgetBucks!