Sunday, May 10, 2009

Timely lesson on overcoming failure

My family and I are regular followers of Dr Lee Wei Ling's articles in The Sunday Times. Her column last Sunday, 'The day I failed an examination', was timely as the mid-year examinations for schools are just round the corner.

My twin daughters are sitting for their Primary School Leaving Examination this year.

They were surprised when I told them Dr Lee is the daughter of Minister Mentor Lee Kuan Yew. She writes from an ordinary Singaporean's viewpoint, openly and honestly, and these are the qualities in her writing they enjoy.

Today's children have high expectations of themselves. They are easily disheartened if they do not achieve the results they aim for. Thus many will be inspired by Dr Lee's account of overcoming failure and her belief that 'if we persevere and adapt', many difficulties can be overcome.

I hope Dr Lee continues to share her experiences with us.

Lee Ai Min (Mrs)

 

No comments:

Earn $$ with WidgetBucks!