Saturday, January 24, 2009

Teens heed the ring's call

WHEN Muhammad Feroz Jamaluddin's parents heard that their youngest son was keen to take up boxing, they tried to dissuade him.

'My father actually locked the door, so I couldn't sign up at Kadir's Boxing School, which I found through Yahoo!,' recalled the lanky 16-year-old with a grin. 'I really cried then.'

But the left-handed fighter, whose interest in boxing started when he watched Rocky at age 11, persisted.

It paid off. He had his first training session two years later in June 2006 at Kadir's Boxing School, which is run by former national coach Syed Abdul Kadir.

The ITE-Clementi student proved to be a natural, learning the fundamentals quickly, and finding himself in his first competitive match just three months later. Since then, he has fought both locally and in Malaysia.

He has developed into such a proficient fighter that Kadir, a SEAP Games gold medallist and the only Singaporean to win a Commonwealth Games boxing medal, told Feroz to compete in the Open category during the National Boxing Championships from Jan 11- 12.

'He is one of the most all-rounded and mature boxers I have,' said Kadir. 'His fundamentals are there, he knows when to defend himself and when to attack. And, more importantly, he has a desire to do well.'

Although Feroz was fighting an opponent six years his senior, his victory by points at the National Championships took his win-loss record to 7-6. It also got him shortlisted for the Youth Olympic Games (YOG) boxing squad.

The light-welterweight (64kg), who hopes that this selection is just the first step to glory, is glad for the discipline that the sport has instilled in him.

Said Feroz: 'I used to have problems controlling my temper. But now, even if people disturb me, I am able to remain calm and cool.'

Another young boxer who is glad for the discipline is 16-year-old Muhammad Ashraf, who picked up boxing in November 2007.

His interest was sparked by watching The Ultimate Fighter on AXN. He was introduced to the Farrer Park Alliance boxing school, whose coach, Suphevan Sukamaran (better known as Devan), is a family friend.

Unlike Feroz, who wants to compete only at the amateur level, Ashraf, who was also shortlisted for the YOG squad after winning his bout at the National Championships, hopes to turn professional.

The right-handed light-welterweight (64kg) has a 1-1 record. He trains thrice a week, but insists that the sport will not interfere with his preparations for the O levels at the end of the year.

'Right now, I want to focus on two things - boxing and school. I don't have time to think about starting a relationship,' said the Northview Secondary student.

Mohamed Hanurdeen Hamid also made an impression at the National Championships. The light- flyweight's (48kg) speed and aggression quickly overwhelmed his opponent, and he won when the referee stopped the contest. He is undefeated in three competitive bouts.

The 15-year-old, who trains under coach T. Balasundram at U2Can Format for Combat, was introduced to boxing by his brother.

'My older brother said I could become a good boxer if I put in the practice,' said the Upper Serangoon Secondary Technical student, who is a staff sergeant in the National Cadet Corps. 'My mother didn't want me to box at first, now she supports me in all my fights.'

Injury is a constant worry for the trio.

Said Feroz, whose parents now cheer him on at all his fights: 'I am fortunate that my nose has not been broken. But I'm prepared for it.'



'I used to have problems controlling my temper, but now, even if people disturb me, I am able to remain calm and cool.'

MUHAMMAD FEROZ JAMALUDDIN

'Right now, I want to keep focused on two things - boxing and school.'

MUHAMMAD ASHRAF

 

1 comment:

yuiu said...

Thanks for great information you write it very clean. I am very lucky to get this tips from you.
boxing rings

Earn $$ with WidgetBucks!