Friday, November 7, 2008

Ill-conceived: MDIS dress code crackdown

I REFER to yesterday's article about the Management Development Institute of Singapore (MDIS) enforcing dress codes in school ('Dress code crackdown at MDIS'), which is the most upsetting news in weeks.

One would have thought that, at tertiary level, superficiality would not be the focus of education, but rather, we would look at substance and quality of work. I cannot see how hair colour or shorts and slippers indicate a student's ability to do well in school. As a tertiary student myself, and in the Singapore climate, I find wearing singlets or shorts very comfortable.

To say it is distasteful is not saying anything as that is purely subjective. For example, one could wear a nice MNG basic singlet and Esprit shorts and look a million times better than the batik top and chequered print trousers I can imagine the discipline master or mistress might wear. I could say they are distasteful too, because it hurts my eyes to look at them.

One could demand that teachers do not commit 'distasteful' fashion faux pas as well.

Move away from superficiality, MDIS.

Teng Kie Zin

No comments:

Earn $$ with WidgetBucks!