Sunday, November 2, 2008

What's in a school badge? There's plenty

I REFER to Thursday's article, 'Dunman alumni oppose new badge'. Alumni of Dunman secondary have my sympathy and support.

The replacement of 'Knowledge: The torch of life' with the graphic of a torch hardly begins to express the profoundness of its original meaning. 'Dare to achieve your dreams' is aspirational but, to be brutally honest, is often seen in slimming or get-rich- quick advertisements. Furthermore, how does one achieve one's dreams without knowledge fuelling and firing them?

It is probably human nature to want to keep changing things, viewing change as improvement over the past. In a milestone year, it is understandable that the school wants to make a milestone impact on the school's identity as well.

However, in one's life journey, it is wisdom that lasts through the years that guides us; it is learning from new experiences while making sense of it against the old that helps us progress. History is important.

My alma mater, where I spent the four best years of my school life, celebrates its 75th anniversary this year. I recently attended its anniversary dinner and, to my delight, rag dolls dressed in my school uniform, unchanged from when I was in school 20 years ago, complete with our signature cloth embroidered badge, were made for sale to raise funds. I made sure both my best friends from school received one each.

Our old school compound will be torn down and rebuilt and the school management team took pains to ensure that parts of the old school will be reinstated as works of art or memorial in the new school - created by alumni. Key Chinese sayings that the school always drills into our heads at school assembly and visible around the school compound will continue to exist in the new school.

My point is, symbols that build an identity hold meaning for their users and create continuity of culture and sense of belonging.

To Dunman's principal - try the idea of changing the national flag and the school will understand why changing the school badge is not about evolution.

I risk being called a busybody and join Dunman's alumni in calling for preservation of the old badge and motto.

No comments:

Earn $$ with WidgetBucks!